First We Need to Know What is Welding
Once you cut and join metal pieces, an entire universe of possibilities will be there. And this can only be achieved by the art of welding metals. Welding is an original fabrication art or skill which many automobile modifiers and metal repairers use for their work. This is the most popular method of cutting and molding metal objects into a completely new look.
Most automotive companies, construction, and large production companies, along with heavy industries, utilize the welding art in almost each of their tasks. This means that welding is a fundamental part of industrial work and automotive repair.
The mechanism used in welding
Welding is a process whereby you join two or more parts of the metal by applying high heat or high pressure. You can use this art for metals as well as thermoplastics.
What is the equipment used in the process of welding?
There are lots of known types of welding, and each which demands different kinds of equipment.
For example, in electric stick welding or Arc welding, a specific stick-like structure is used, which we insert in the welding torch, and Oxy-acetylene, tig, and MIG welding gases are used to achieve perfection in welding.
- As we know, every technology has its advantages as well as some disadvantages, and this fact that we cannot deny. The same is the case with the gas welding while this opens the door to a great deal of repertoire for us; it also has some drawbacks. So, here we will discuss some of the hazards and harmful effects of Oxygen-Acetylene welding.
- Oxygen-acetylene welding is the most dangerous type of welding.
- What is oxy-acetylene solder?
- Uses of Oxy-Acetylene Welding
Oxygen-acetylene welding is the most dangerous type of welding.
Oxy-Acetylene solder is the most dangerous type of welding. It includes the use of extremely high temperature and pressure along with the combustion of gases. Thus, giving out wild and hot flames that can be harmful to your eyes as well as for your lungs, you may experience painful burns on your eyes or face because of burning flames.
If someone will have constant or daily exposure to welding flames, it may cause permanent and hazardous damage to your eyes and can also affect your eyesight; so one should be ready for the emergency resolutions before getting into this phenomenon. Also, make sure that you are using adequate safety measures like face covering and using approved safety goggles or face shield.
What is oxy-acetylene solder?
Oxy-acetylene or gas combustion solder is one of the most accurate branches of gas combustion welding; that commonly relies on the combustion of any two gasses, i.e., oxygen and acetylene. Both are mixed inaccurately measured proportions within a blowpipe or a welding torch and serve as a heating medium; as a result of this process, a scorching flame comes out that usually has a temperature of about 3200 degrees.
The welding tip that we mount at the tip of the welding torch so that fuel and the gas mixture passes from the double-lined rubber hoses to feed out the coming flame.
A metal alloy is added as filler, which sometimes prevents oxidation and facilitates the metal union. So, we will say that metal alloy is also an essential part of the oxygen-acetylene combustion welding.
Metals with low carbon, steels with low alloy, wrought iron, and ferrous metals are most commonly welded by oxygen-acetylene or gas welding.
Uses of Oxy-Acetylene Welding
Oxygen-Acetylene welding is one of the specific types of soldering which has many uses in different fields.
- It is used for the heating metal in automotive industries to repair automobiles.
- Ferrous and non-ferrous metals except brass are weld using oxygen-acetylene welding.
- It is used for the deposition of metal for building up a firmer metal surface.
- Also, oxy-acetylene flames are used in stone working where the stone is heated and top layer crackles and breaks.
- It is of significant usage in the glass industry for polishing purposes.
- It has significant usage in jewelry production industries.
- For the removal of a seized bolt in the automotive shop, Oxy-acetylene welding can be of great use.
- It can be of high usage in platinum fusion because platinum van only is fused using combustion welding.
Oxy-Acetylene welding can for metal welding as well as metal cutting.
All you have to do is to interchange the welding tips, i.e., welding and a cutting tip.
Its welding tip has only one hole that is present in the center, with several circular holes surrounding the central one. The central hole gives out the oxygen, and the side circular smaller holes give out the preheating flames.
A cutting torch has a 60- or 90-degree angled head with smaller holes present around a more jumbo central jet. The outer holes are for preheat flames of the combustion gases. Whereas, the first jet only gives out oxygen for cutting.
Equipment used in Oxy-acetylene welding
Equipment used in this welding process is low in cost and usually light weighted and versatile, which you can carry alongside easily. You can use this equipment for various operations, including metals, thermoplastics, and even wood. Because acetylene is the most frequently available gas in the market so most often, it is used in the gas welding, straightening, bending, and brazing of non-ferrous and low gauge metals.
The apparatus used in Oxygen-acetylene gas welding consists of:
- An oxygen source and a fuel gas cylinder, which you often carry in a special wheel trolley.
- Two gas pressure regulators for both gases
- Two flexible rubber hose each for one gas cylinder
- A special valve that directs gas flow in the only desired direction.
- A welding torch that is for soldering and art of brazing.
- Commonly-used fuel gases in this welding process include acetylene, propylene, propane, natural gas, and oxygen.
Characteristics of oxy-acetylene welding:
Following are the main characteristics of the oxygen-acetylene welding:
- It uses the combustion of two gases under pressure in steel cylinders, i.e., oxygen and acetylene.
- You can only cut or weld your metal by interchanging the tips, i.e., cutting or welding tip.
- The mixture of two gases attains a high pressure under high pressure in the steel container.
- Regulators are used to controlling gas flow, and it allows you to regulate the pressure of the tanks of both gases.
- Rubber hoses that are double-lined are used to conduct the gas towards the torch.
- Firstly, you melt entirely those metals which to be weld.
- By the adjustment of gas flow, you can regulate the temperature.
How harmful is oxy-acetylene welding?
Undoubtedly, oxy-acetylene solder is one of the most versatile and accurate types of welding that deliver desired results. But the only problem is that it is considered the most dangerous kind of solder. It uses a lot of heat, so you have to be very careful, and only a professional can handle this type of welding. Moreover, you can only use this phenomenon for light gauge metals.
Heat, flame, molten metal, or spark may cause the fire. If you do not use the proper protective measures and eye shielding while working, you will experience painful burns on your eyes or face. It may cause permanent and hazardous damage to your eyes and can also affect your eyesight.
Moreover, prolonged exposure to welding fumes can be hazardous for the lungs, which may even lead to lung cancers. One of the most dangerous conditions that can come into existence because of this welding is cylinder explode. Transporting fuel cylinders can also be hazardous. The bottles may get crushed or may get leaked. While repairing, welding, or cutting cylinders might contain flammable materials that can turn into a blast.
The scorching flame coming from the gas torch may burn anything into ashes in the blink of an eye. Also, fumes produced during the welding or cutting process may turn the air suffocative and even lead to choking of the throat.
The foremost thing that you have to keep in the mind before you go for welding is to set up the welding workplace is at a safe location far from a crowded region. All the combustible materials like wood, paper, and petrol, etc. that can easily catch fire should be removed from the welding area, or an insulating material should cover you.
Please ensure the availability of fire extinguishers in the works place so that they will be life-saving in case of any calamity. Moreover, the welders or operators must use the proper gloves and adequately cover their face using approved safety goggles or face shield. It is for the protection of the eyes from welding sparks and flaming hot metal residues.
The goggles or the special glasses and the face protection shield used in this type of welding contain particular kinds of protective lenses to shield the eyes from severe light damage like Photokeratitis. Photokeratitis is a critical condition caused by the constant exposure of your eyes to ultraviolet radiation, which causes extreme discomfort and temporary blindness.